Lesson Plan 1: Grammar/Vocab Ring-tones and Review
Students will use their mobile phones to create ring-tone raps and jingles about grammar terms and new vocabulary. They will be able to download these tunes to their mobile phones so they can use them as a way to review the grammar and Vocab. They can set up their phones so that each of their contacts has a different grammar/Vocab ring-tone. Each time their mobile phone rings, they get an instant review!
● describe a grammar term.
● demonstrate their understanding of Grammar/Vocab and their properties and everyday use by creating a song.
Mobile phone (basic or smart) with the capability to take pictures and make phone calls
Computer with Web access (site accessed: audacity)
SET UP AND PREPARE
1. The teacher downloads Audacity to classroom computers.
2. The teacher makes a handout with the instructions for creating audacity ringtones.
1. The teacher goes over mobile safety and appropriate use before beginning this lesson.
2. The teacher assigns each pair of students a grammar term.
3. Students research and learn about their grammar term: its properties, facts, and how to use it in everyday life.
4. The students write a jingle or rap based on their grammar term.
5. Using the teacher handout, students create an Audacity file and sing or rap their jingle. They can use sound effects or have background music as well.
6. Once all students have called in their songs, they will be able to send the songs to their individual mobile phones via itunes.
8. Students can load some or all of the jingles/raps onto their phones. They can make each of their contacts a different rap or jingle, so that every time their cell phone rings they get an instant elements review!
Hints and Tips:
● Since there are many grammar terms, the teacher may want to give students four or five terms and ask them to address each term in their song.
● Students should keep their songs shorter than 30 seconds because some mobile phones will not allow ring-tones longer than 30 seconds.
● If students cannot upload the ring-tones to their mobile phones, they can plug their MP3 players into the computer and download them from itunes to put on their players for review.